Supporting the Respiratory Effectiveness Group is an investment in the future of relevant and meaningful drug development and appropriately informed clinical practice. The current challenges facing clinicians (and drug companies) transcend individual drug / device issues. A collective, collaborative approach is required to map the way forward for evaluating the real-life value and affordability of respiratory therapies.
To offer your support, or find out more, contact us at email@example.com
Benefits: Supporters of REG can enjoy the benefits of:
- Helping to develop a group of real-life experts who can lead and advise on high-quality real-life studies in the future.
- Improving the recognition, understanding, penetration, confidence and potential influence of real-life studies.
- Helping to create an environment where real-life research is accepted more readily by high impact journals.
- Supporting key opinion and thought leaders in their research interests and needs – find out from the experts the unmet research needs
- Support the generation of high-quality research protocols that will produce valuable data for all working in respiratory medicine.
- Supporting the generation of robust data that will inform and improve the drug regulatory processes (including incorporation of appropriate real-life studies into post-marketing surveillance studies and long-term safety monitoring) and help position new and existing therapies more appropriately within clinical practice guidelines.
- Being seen as leaders in the support of ethical research that will contribute to a common understanding of how to work with real-life data; optimum methodologies, study registration and appropriate monitoring (of prospective real-life studies) for the benefit of the respiratory evidence base, clinical practice and patient outcomes.
- Receiving newsletters and invitation to collaborator meetings to keep up-to-date with the group’s activities and research findings
- Benefiting from the findings of independent REG activities, helping to better understand real-life use of therapies and the optimum use and position of respiratory drugs.[divider_top]
Current funders and partners
REG funders and partners are united in the belief that there is a need to establish a solid foundation of research standards and methodologies on which to build a cohesive body of research that can positively influence the attitude towards real-life data among practicing clinicians and regulators requires a joint approach.
All those with a vested interest in the respiratory arena and real-world research should come together so that the field can be advanced and strengthened for the benefit of all either affected by respiratory conditions, or working in the field.
Research, social enterprise and charitable supporters
Research in Real Life
Research in Real Life (RiRL) carries out research into the management and treatment of chronic diseases with a particular focus on real-life respiratory research. RiRL studies are typically designed to address an area of patient care that may be overlooked when considering treatment outcomes in selective randomised trial populations alone, including:
(i) Genetic factors, e.g. varying and unusual disease phenotypes; (ii) Patient-related factors, e.g. self-perceived medication need, adherence; (iii) Longer-term outcomes; (iv) Technology (e.g. device type); (v) Effects of polypharmacy; (vi) Effects of comorbid conditions; (vii) Epidemiological questions; (viii) Real-life prescribing practice.
Optimum Patient Care
Optimum Patient Care (OPC) is a not-for-profit organisation that offers free respiratory clinical service evaluations to primary care practices through a thorough appraisal of patients’ electronic medical records (EMRs) and associated patient reported outcomes (PROs), captured through OPC’s disease-specific patient questionnaires.
Patient confidentiality is ensured throughout the service evaluation through strict anonymisation practices. The EMRs and PROs captured through the OPC service evaluation in over 300 practices are pooled within the OPC Research Database (OPCRD). OPCRD has received ethical approval for use in medical research and has been used for academic research, Industry-funded research and by the UK’s Department of Health. Read more about OPC[/one_half_last]
Pharmaceutical and commercial supporters
REG’s pharmaceutical supporters recognise the value of using real-life research to help understand the usage, safety, effectiveness and most appropriate positioning of their products post-launch.
With all emerging fields, there is a need to lay down the ground rules to make sure it evolves in the most robust and meaningful way possible and to make sure the studies funded in the future are run by experts, carried out to high standards and result in data that have high penetration and will be accepted by clinicians, guideline bodies and regulatory authorities. REG’s funders recognise that the challenges faced by the field are bigger than individual researchers and individual pharmaceutical companies and their products; it requires a collaborative approach.