We would not be able to develop independent research projects which ensure real-life research is undertaken to the highest possible standards without our supporters.
Association with REG benefits any organisation seeking to maintain a reputation as a leader in support of ethical research. Beyond positive brand equity, REG offers the following benefits to supporters:
- Discovery of unmet research needs, as identified by the REG network of experts and key thought-leaders in the respiratory field
- Generation of robust data to inform and improve drug regulatory processes (including incorporation of appropriate real-life studies into post-marketing surveillance studies and long-term safety monitoring) and to assist in the positioning of new and existing therapies more appropriately within clinical practice guidelines
- Greater understanding of the real-life use of therapies and the optimum use of respiratory drugs derived from the findings of independent REG activities
- Improvement in the recognition, understanding, penetration, confidence and potential influence of real-life studies
- Creation of an environment where real-life research is accepted more readily by high impact journals
- Participation in REG collaborator meetings and regular newsletter updates detailing the outcomes of specific research projects
Current Funders and Partners
REG funders and partners are united in the belief that there is a need to establish a solid foundation of research standards and methodologies on which to build a cohesive body of research that can positively influence the attitude towards real-life data among practising clinicians and regulators requires a joint approach.
Research Academic Partners, Government Organisations and Charitable Supporters
Optimum Patient Care (OPC) is a not-for-profit organisation that offers free respiratory clinical service evaluations to primary care practices through a thorough appraisal of patients’ electronic medical records (EMRs) and associated patient reported outcomes (PROs), captured through OPC’s disease-specific patient questionnaires.
Patient confidentiality is ensured throughout the service evaluation through strict anonymisation practices. The EMRs and PROs captured through the OPC service evaluation in over 300 practices are pooled within the OPC Research Database (OPCRD). OPCRD has received ethical approval for use in medical research and has been used for academic research, Industry-funded research and by the UK’s Department of Health. Read more about OPC
Industry and Commercial Supporters
REG’s pharmaceutical supporters recognise the value of using real-life research to help understand the usage, safety, effectiveness and most appropriate positioning of their products post-launch.
With all emerging fields, there is a need to lay down the ground rules to make sure it evolves in the most robust and meaningful way possible and to make sure the studies funded in the future are run by experts, carried out to high standards and result in data that have high penetration and will be accepted by clinicians, guideline bodies and regulatory authorities. REG’s funders recognise that the challenges faced by the field are bigger than individual researchers and individual pharmaceutical companies and their products; it requires a collaborative approach.